Rocks and Minerals Internet Hunt
The fascination of any search after truth lies not in
the attainment, which at best is found to be very relative, but in the
pursuit, where all the powers of the mind and character are brought into
play and are absorbed in the task. One feels oneself in contact with
something that is infinite and one finds a joy that is beyond expression
in â€˜sounding the abyss of science and the secrets of the infinite mind.
Directions: Use the links
provided to find the answers to the questions.
1. List the three rock groups.
3. Write 3 minerals found in a house. Name the specific product where it is used.
4. What is the difference between a mineral and a rock? pdf resource
5. The gem Corundum is called a sapphire unless it is
6. How old is the Hope Diamond?
7. Asbestos is a mineral that people used to protect
themselves from fire. Later they discovered it was dangerous.
FactMonster.com.'s search to find the answer. Enter asbestos in the
9. What mineral has the least hardness according to the
10. How are sedimentary rocks formed? Name two sedimentary rocks.
11. How are igneous rocks formed?
What does the word ignite mean? Look it up in a dictionary.
12. Ever hear the phrase "it sank like a stone"? What rock can actually float?
13. Name the tests that scientists use to identify minerals. Explain two of them. (Tip - Click Next to move through the info)
14. What is an unusual property of the mineral ulexite?
15. What causes sedimentary and igneous rocks to change?
16. Nicholaus Steno set down two geologic principles. What are they?
17. On several of the sites you visited in the hunt they gave the name for molten rock. What is it?
18. Do this Math Mastery Rock problem
What role does the mineral fluoride play in your health?
Accept the challenge: Every day you eat minerals. Your
folks don't plop a bowl of minerals down for breakfast.
Do this web activity Rock Cycle interactive and engaging. Test your skills. Score-
Check out Rock varnish - Have you observed this phenomena?
Food for thought.
Suppose I told you about a teacher at school. (You will
have her for Earth Science next year.)
Fiery and exciting / Slow - steadily teaching one step at a time / Changing throughout the year.
Sometimes we techies talk about morphing. We morph
pictures, for example.
Name an animal that "morphs" __________________________________
"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson
Done already? Good for you!
All trademarks, copyrights and logos belong to their respective owners.
O'Hora All rights reserved. This hunt may not be distributed or reposted
Save a tree - use a digital answer format - Highlight the text. Copy it. Paste it in a word processing document. Save the document in your folder. Answer on the word processing document in a contrasting color (not yellow) or font (avoid , or other ornate artistic fonts). Save frequently as you work. Or perhaps you have the resources to record verbal answers. If you do, be sure to first read / record the question. Then record the answer immediately after it.
Proof your responses. It is funny how speling errors and typeos sneak in to the bets work. Make your own printer paper answer sheet