Rocks and Minerals Internet Hunt
Directions: Use the links
provided or Google to find the answers to the questions.
1. List the three rock groups.
3. Write 3 minerals found in a house. Name the specific product where it is used.
4. What is the difference between a mineral and a rock? Google it!
5. The gem Corundum is called a sapphire unless it is
6. How old is the Hope Diamond?
7. Asbestos is a mineral that people used to protect
themselves from fire. Later they discovered it was dangerous.
8. F. Mohs developed a scale to measure hardness of gemstones. What is the scale called?
9. What mineral has the least hardness according to the
10. How are sedimentary rocks formed? Name two sedimentary rocks. Google it!
11. How are igneous rocks formed? Google it!
What does the word ignite mean? Look it up in a dictionary.
12. Ever hear the phrase "it sank like a stone"? What rock can actually float? Google it!
13. Name the tests that scientists use to identify minerals. Explain two of them. Google it!
14. What is an unusual property of the mineral ulexite?
15. What causes sedimentary and igneous rocks to change? Google it!
16. Nicholaus Steno set down two geologic principles. What are they?
17. What is the name for molten rock? Google it!
18. What role does the mineral fluoride play in your health?
19. Suppose I told you someone was sedimentary. How would you picture that person?
Fiery and exciting / Slow and steady / Changing throughout the year.
20. Sometimes we techies talk about morphing. We morph
pictures, for example.
Name an animal that "morphs" __________________________________
"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson
Done already? Good for you!
All trademarks, copyrights and logos belong to their respective owners.
O'Hora All rights reserved. This hunt may not be distributed or reposted